Friday, July 2, 2010

Choosing which Linux to play with

Last time we discussed how to install Linux in a virtual machine. This time, I'm just going to post some links to interesting articles about choosing a Linux distribution to use.

Personally, because of my interest in Networking, I'm using CentOS to run an application called OpenNMS.

This article in The Register has a good brief introduction to Linux, and some of the most commonly used ones.

This article in The Register calls me a weenie, and talks about other ways of running Linux alongside or inside of Windows. I prefer to be a weenie who doesn't have to mess about with disc partitions on my only laptop.

Finally, this article from the Good Gear Guide links to some of the lesser used versions of Linux.

As I said, I'm happy with CentOS for most of what I do, but have a look and see if there is a distribution that interests you. If there isn't, then just pick Ubuntu as it's a fairly easy to use one.

No comments:

Post a Comment